- Rock Art
- Rock Art: The Meanings and Myths Behind Ancient Ruins in the Southwest and Beyond
Rock Art: The Meanings and Myths Behind Ancient Ruins in the Southwest and Beyond
Rock Art explores the fascinating history of ancient human-made stone markings that have puzzled historians, archaeologists, and hikers alike for centuries. What is rock art, and who created these mysterious symbols, and why are so many pieces of artwork similar across disparate and long-forgotten cultures? How was rock art made—and, more importantly, why? These questions and more are addressed in this comprehensive guide, complete with full-color images and travel listings. Look inside to find:
- Prehistories and histories of the cultures who created these images and etchings.
- Detailed descriptions of the tools, techniques, and methods used to create rock art.
- Best practices and techniques for photographing these alluring rock images.
- Extensive list of rock art sites across the United States.
Whether you’re fascinated by the wondrous ancient imagery imprinted on the landscape or just curious about the markings alongside your favorite hiking trail, Rock Art is the only guide you need to better understand this mysterious and beautiful art form.